Well weve turned the corner ! By "we" I mean Merlin and myself.

My young Australian Labradoodle guest is with me for a month for residential training and after a frustrating beginning, things suddenly took a turn a few days ago. It just happened in an instance - the sudden realisation that this little lad was both looking at me and following my commands was a fantastic feeling !

In the morning it was still the "old" Merlin that I was working with, but my perseverance suddenly came good later in the day - and in truth I just gave him a hug as I knew things were only going to get better from then on. Yes he can be stubborn and awkward at times, but hes the equivalent to a teenager, a Kevin and Perry dare I say it !! But with careful training, these traits will disappear.

Merlins desire to follow the leaders instructions really benefitted him this morning. He was one of five dogs (inc. Honey and Jaffa) Paul took onto one of the lower Fells near Haweswater. Leads were kept in Pauls rucksack, even when he approached sheep, as the dogs have been trained not to chase livestock, including Merlin.

But as this was Pauls first time out with him in such conditions, he erred on the side of caution and put a lead around Merlin. He neednt have bothered as the young dog pulled the other way, fully aware that sheep are one "plaything" definately out of bounds.

All in all hes really enjoying himself while learning at the same time and its a real pleasure - yet again - to be able to work with such a wonderful dog who makes running Cumbria Dog Training all worth while.

Janet
The Original Sheepdog ?
Honey whispers to Merlin "SIT UP ! He wants to take our photograph!"
Thats better. CLICK !!
Merlin has found a true partner in mischief making - 12wk old Nelly
View from the top - easily worth the short climb to see it


"

Leave a Reply