Its been many years since theres been a puppy in my house. Since Nailah is 8 years old, well out of her puppy years, I havent had the chance to smell that strangely fragrant puppy breath for far too long. 

Poor Niles is having a crash course in puppyhood too.

So when my friends asked if Id watch their 1 year old dachshund for a week I jumped at the chance! Ive been thinking about getting another dog for a good while now, though thats still far off, so what better way to get reacquainted with puppyhood than with a borrowed pooch?

I always forget how gentle Nailah can be.

So on Christmas Eve Zoey came into our household. Shes a very sweet little girl that has a TON of energy. She is housebroken (though there was an accident on our tree skirt) but is a bit stubborn. She is also extremely affectionate, something I am not used to.
 
"Whats this "sharing" business you speak of?"

Niles isnt really the snuggly type so I thought itd be interesting to see how Zoey would mesh with my personality. Whenever I sit down she jumps right onto my lap and makes herself comfortable. At first this was endearing since I sometimes wish Nailah was more affectionate, but soon I realized it wasnt my cup of tea. I need my space and Niles is good at giving it to me. Zoey on the other hand constantly needs attention and love and I am not good at giving it to her.

"Youre lucky my mom is watching!"

Though I have been giving Zoey a lot of affection, more than I normally give any dog, its because I want her to be happy and feel safe in our home. Its not that I cant stand showering her with attention (I really like the pup!) but I do find it rather exhausting. 

Of course since they both can have access to the ball neither of them wants it.

Ive been trying to think back to what Nailah was like when she was a puppy, but I cant recall her ever been this doting. Im not saying Niles ignores me all day, but she has a different way of expressing her love. Aussies are often called "Velcro Dogs" and I can attest to this being true. Shes my little shadow, following me wherever I go. If I move from my desk to the kitchen she trails behind me. Bed to couch, shes right there. She even waits for me outside of the bathroom door when I take a shower. She wants to be with me at all times, but she doesnt need to be on me like Zoey. 

I think this picture perfectly illustrates the difference between these two.

Maybe she learned to behave this way because Im not a very touchy feely person myself? Or perhaps I just naturally gravitated towards that type of personality when I chose her over her more playful brother? If Id have to chose Id go with the latter. 

Zoey more interested in cuddling than playing with Nailah.

Regardless of how Niles came to have her perfect (at least for me) balance of affectionate yet hands off I cant imagine having it any other way. As much as I love Zoey I dont think I could have a dog that was as sweet and adoring as her, we just arent a good match! I am having a blast taking care of her and seeing what else I learn about my dog preferences along the way. 

Though the occasional snuggle can be a good thing!


"

Leave a Reply