I always here "I want to start with a puppy so I can train it". Im a dog trainer and with the sorry state of most breeders I would rarely start with a puppy. You have no way of knowing the temperament of the puppy once it becomes a dog and also any health issues. I like dogs over a 18 months, you can tell how healthy they are and if you spend any time with them you can tell their temperament. This includes aggression, training, and personality. There is no way to test a puppy to predict what they will be like as a dog. Dont get me wrong I like puppies, but I hate the fact I have to wait 6-8 months to really enjoy the puppy. In 30 days I can take a 1 year+ shelter dog and have a dog I can go anywhere with....with no surprises. The average age of a dog in a shelter is between 9-16 months, meaning they were obtained as a puppy then relinquished. Our return rate at Wayside is less for dogs than puppies and I would assume that is the same for other shelters. I can teach a dog how to sit, down, roll over anytime at any age. I cannot go back and repair a poor temperament or a broken down body. Before you get a puppy, take a look at some mature dogs. I call them instant pets - take one mature dog, add a family, a home, 30 days and you have an instant pet. Puppies are great, but do you really have the time to commit to an animal for the next 18 months? Think about it......
"

Leave a Reply